The other week I saw a movie that absolutely loved. It seemed obvious to me how well acted, directed and produced the whole of the former. That is Why was surprised when I went home, searching for some information about it and saw that it had very low assessment in some surveys. Next week, I noticed that had been performing poorly in the box office. I started to wonder if the two are correlated.
Now, of course, to each their own opinion. And that is the way things should be. So the movie I love cannot do well in surveys of art and vice versa. You can accept that. In fact I encourage it. All his opinion is valuable, even if we disagree.
However, it seems to me that something reasonably expensive, such as film, negative ratings in polls really could convince art people not to go to him. As a result of someone not even read the review of the attached movie--they'll simply see the results of the poll and Move.
To me this seems unfair. Poorly done film due to negative reviews, and unfair, at least I can be sure that those which emanate from the professionals. Art surveys are open to anyone--while the democratization of this form is useful in other areas of life, I think it's dangerous here. Encourages people to game the system, all illusions to be fair.
For example, what is someone not especially likes the actor or actress in the film? They may give the movie a negative vote on art surveys--sight unseen! They encourage other friends to vote the same way, pushing the film on the territory of the negative, even if this is because the Insert to the puppet accounts.
One way around this would be making response to conditional on response to question poll about the movie. May be completing a memorable lines of dialogue or simply knowing characters full names. Nothing major, just something to make sure that people are voting with knowledge.
Finally, I am sure about even including surveys of art in film reviews. Make sure that these are better left to other areas of the site? Even if art surveys are done with the utmost responsibility, the fact of the matter is that having that information will sway your way to one or the other. Not only can it make them against the film--it may make them against a review!
I don't expect to resolve the multiple problems with biased audience. But I like to think of art surveys eventually should encourage other people to see the great work, not avoid it. I may be making mountains out of molehills, but I think it is important that they share the opinion of the opinions try--not bias.
No comments:
Post a Comment